Little Words of Encouragement...

...Fall not on Deaf Ears.

Today I was with all four kids in Costco, stocking up on supplies for the reception for G's baptism.  They were behaving well: M and Z were walking next to the cart, T was happily sitting in the basket, and G was strapped to me, as always.  A woman passed me with her small son in tow and said, "Oh, I remember those days.  You're just starting out, aren't you?  It gets better."  She went on to tell me that the child with her was the youngest of her six.  She homeschools, and had left the older five (aged 8 to 16) at home working.  We chatted a bit about umbrella groups and character development.  She looked so calm.


I'll be honest.  This week has been challenging.  I don't know if the woman saw the dark circles under my eyes, or there is just a vibe that mothers with many children give off in Costco.  Whatever prompted her to say what she did, I will be eternally thankful.  I took it as a sign from God to persevere in this endeavor.

Just this morning, I was praying for guidance about whether homeschooling is worth it and working for us.  Some days all five of our schedules click, and I think, "Yes!  This is why we're living this life."  Other days, and they seem to be in the majority lately, everyone has a different schedule: G needs a nap right when T needs to use the toilet right when Z needs me to explain something complicated right when M has finished everything and is looking for someone to pester.  On these days, I wonder if anyone is learning anything and if I'm doing well as a mother.  When it comes down to it, I do believe that homeschooling is the best option for our family.  Sometimes it just helps to hear words of encouragement.

So thank you, random woman in Costco.  To any other mothers reading this who are a little further along on the journey of parenthood than I am, please, please encourage a mother you see today or tomorrow.  Especially if she is in Costco with all of her young children, and is "just starting out."




Comments

Popular Posts