easy livin’


The weather has finally decided to be summer.  The beautiful, cool days of the past few weeks have given way to HEAT, and we’re doing all we can to stay cool in our old, lacking-central-air house.  We’re hot in our little sundresses and shorts, but I have no idea how the ladies in the past suffered through this kind of heat in corsets and petticoats and long, long dresses.  We have to remind each other to stay hydrated, especially the little ones, whose pink cheeks and sweaty hair show just how they’re sweltering.  What’s funny is that, after a lifetime of AC, my body is adjusting to the heat, and I need a little sweater with me whenever I go to the air-conditioned store or church.  I never used to be so cold in those places!  Or maybe I’m just getting old? 

Father’s Day festivities are always low-key. The kids spent Saturday morning making cards for Fr. G while I went to the grocery store; their heads were bent over their work, and each tried to think of the funniest thing to say.  This year they gave him their best wishes in different languages, thanks to Google translate.  On Father’s Day, he and the boys watched the World Cup games after Liturgy  Fr. G had one request--Southern-style banana pudding.  So we relaxed the fast a wee little bit, and indulged.  It was a really lovely, peaceful (and HOT) day.

I celebrated the first day of the last year of my thirties earlier this month, and my two birthday presents arrived in the past week!  I asked for a camera, just a basic Nikon and lens, and my sister gave me a gift certificate to a favorite yarn shop. The yarn shop had a sale last week, so I snapped up enough of the Local Natural Dyes, dyed with indigo, for a sweater.  (And it looks like now they’re out of the indigo!)  

I’m not the only one excited about yarn--Little M asks to squeeze the skeins in my stash.  Could she be a burgeoning knitter?  Z and I hope!  Little M is very opinionated about her hair these days.  Today she asked for a "back, up ponytail. two."  Many hairstyles and tears later, I finally got it the way she liked. Looking at the picture, I saw that the outcome really was two back, up buns. Ha!

I’m excited about some easy livin’ over the next week, to rest now that our school year is officially over!  



Comments

Popular Posts