Homemade

I was truly excited to be reunited with my sewing machine after a year's absence, and as soon as I got home I got to work sewing.  T was in desperate need of a pair of shorts--his hand-me-downs from M were in tatters a little worse for wear, and many got left in Greece.  I decided to try out one of the pattern books that I received from my mom last Christmas, Happy Homemade, vol. 2.  

Despite the fact that the directions were in French, I muddled through and produced this pair of khaki shorts:



I made the smallest size, but they were a little long on T, which means that they'll fit next year (and possibly the next, too!).  I loved constructing the faux fly, the pockets and the seams.  The whole process only took me a few afternoons, while the kids were visiting their grandparents and T was napping.  The pattern diagrams were fabulous, which definitely helped bridge the French/English gap.  My real excitement about the whole process was that I "reclaimed" the fabric from a pair of XXL pants that I purchased at a thrift store.  For $1.50.

He's already gotten a lot of wear out of them, first this summer and then more recently.  Today was unseasonably warm, and he could be seen running around in his mama-made khaki clamdiggers.

Comments

Popular Posts