In which I eat my words. And some trachanas.

Sorry to mislead with this photo.
Trachanas has nothing to do with brown sugar, but makes a very un-photogenic soup.


I seem to have to retract statements on a regular basis, and my logical husband would say, "Well, stop talking!"  Yes, he's right.  I should stop making declarations that I have to amend.  Like the one about how the idea of trachanas really didn't sound appealing.  

I love it.

Tonight I made a soup loosely based upon this recipe.  Mine didn't have chicken, but it did have trachanas. You know, that thing I thought I didn't like.  Here's what I did.  (My doctoring might make someone who has had the Real Thing cringe, but T asked for a third helping, so I'll take it.) 

1 onion diced
1 cup trachanas (soaked in warm water until doubled)
2 tomatoes, diced
1 liter broth
pinch cumin
3/4 cup lentils
250 g halloumi, diced

1.  Saute the onions in olive oil until translucent.  
2.  Add tomatoes, cumin and broth and boil until soft.
3.  Puree mixture in blender or with immersion blender.
4.  Add lentils and simmer until al dente.
5.  Throw in halloumi and simmer or 1/2 hour.
6. Serve warm.

If you can't find real trachanas, you could substitute a cup of bulgur and then stir in some plain yogurt when you serve the soup.  It won't taste exactly the same, but will be a close approximation. 

Comments

Popular Posts