out and about

Last Wednesday we trekked to our favorite nature reserve to see how autumn was coming along there. I suppose it didn’t really, technically become fall until yesterday, but those apples and goldenrod sure felt fall-ish, despite the 90 degree weather! We’d just read a selection from this book, describing the many ways seeds disperse themselves, and found several different seeds to study.

Today I took just G and M for an early morning bird banding session at a conservation farm near where our favorite state park is located.  M was up and ready before I’d had a chance to clear my morning brain, and in the car before I’d had a chance to look up where we were going.  The farm’s summer growth towered over us as we hiked out to the banding pavilion.  A stiff, refreshing (dare I say fall?) breeze blew leaves into the bird nets, lifted our hair, and set the goldenrod meadows dancing.  We were hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the fall migratory birds, and were not disappointed!  M added some new species to his life list, including a northern waterthrush. 

 I love fall the best out of all the seasons; I can’t wait for the fall goodness that’s just around the corner. (And wool sock weather!  That’s the best!)


Comments

Popular Posts