Here and There, An Introduction



I put together a little series of blogs about some of the differences between living there(in the US) and here (in Athens).  I am definitely not making any judgements about which is better or worse.  As I am discovering, there are quite a few things I miss (can we say AC, anyone?), but I have a list of equal length of things we left behind with relief.  
OUR HOUSE/το σπιτι μας
THERE we live in a condo on the second story that has two bedrooms, 2 full baths and a loft.  There is wall-to-wall carpet due to our association’s regulations, so our dining room is carpeted.  No comment on the cleanliness under the kids’ chairs.  We’ve got a small balcony that overlooks our neighbor’s garden.  There are walk-in closets in the two bedrooms, a coat closet and a closet in the loft.  Our amenities include washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge, range, AC, and a large water heater.  



HERE we live in a first floor apartment, and we are fortunate enough to occupy the entire floor.  There is a small front porch and a smaller balcony on the side.  There are two bedrooms, one full bath and one half bath, living room, dining room, and kitchen. The flooring is stone and parquet, which are both very traditional in Greece. The bedrooms have floor to ceiling closets--an entire wall in the kids’ bedroom is devoted to storage space--there is a separate linen closet, and a few more storage spaces scattered throughout the apartment.  Our amenities here include a stove, a large fridge, a washer, and a bidet.  Our heat is through radiators, and while I have no experience with radiator heat to speak of, I find it charming.  We’ll see if that opinion changes in the winter.  






What do you think?

Comments

  1. I love it, Rachel! It's fun to get a glimpse of what your life will look like there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will love radiator heat! I had it growing up and it is very cozy. The best part is using the radiators to warm up a bath towel, or dry off wet mittens/socks (not sure how many wet mittens you'll have??), or warm up your shoes underneath. Also, our cats loved to curl up by them. They sometimes can make loud hissing and banging sounds (banging is from trapped air and usually there is a vavle to "bleed" out water and air until there is no air left, and then the banging should stop). I love all the pictures of both of your homes, the condo looks great :). We now have carpet in our dining room and I think of you every day as I try not to curse the carpet :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts