Mother's Week

Good news filled this past week.  A baby is on the way for a dear friend, another arrived yesterday for my cousin.  Both of these lovely ladies are mamas for the first time, and I couldn't wish their children to have better ones.  I'm already craving that fresh newborn scent. (B reminds me that we have a new-ish baby.  Oh, right.)




While I am feeling much more in tune with mothering these days, I hope that I never take this privilege for granted because it has been so easily acquired.  For me, unlike so many women I know and grieve for, the challenge hasn't been becoming a mother.  It has been becoming a good mother.  Being patient.  Empathizing with my children more.  Being patient.  Being silent.







So, to the veteran mothers in my life (you know who you are, I hope) who model patience, empathy, silence, and love: 


 thank you.




Comments

Popular Posts