Finished Friday

My college roommate--our rooming together interrupted only by junior year abroad--just had her first baby, a girl.  Despite the fact that we don't talk often these days and I've never met her husband (T was a newborn around the time of her out-of-state wedding reception), I felt very strongly about knitting some nice things for this new girl.  There's a bit of love and prayer in every stitch.  I also wanted to gush in the card I sent, because I can't imagine a better mother than she'll make.  In fact, I'm pretty sure her husband will make a fabulous father, despite the fact that we've never met.  After all, she chose him, and that's all I really need to know.  Quality attracts quality, I say.  Anyway, I choked when it came time to send the package, and the third and final version of the card said the same boring congratulatory message that most baby cards do.  

First up are these two pairs of socks, both variations of this pattern.  I had high hopes of knitting a few more pairs to add to the box, but life intervened.  The multicolor is from a bit of Colinette Jitterbug, and is in a Monet palette.  The second pair is from a small ball of a discontinued yarn that I've been saving for something special.  



The pièce de résistance is a short-sleeved cardigan from a pattern called lila{c}loud.  It was a fairly easy knit...except I read the chart incorrectly and the final product is a little lacier.  Doh!  I used a new-to-me yarn, soft and drapey and machine washable.


In the background is that green cardigan.  I got a little concerned about how colorfast the dye was before I packed up everything and gave the sweater a bath. Thank heavens I did!  The blue leaked all over the sink, and in the end I decided not to saddle a new mother with a hand wash only, may-dye-everything-blue sweater.  I'll save that for her next baby.

Comments

Popular Posts