yarn along: november 2018, σιγά σιγά

joining Ginny...

There’s a Greek phrase, σιγά σιγά, which I love, but there’s no English equivalent.  It means, ‘slowly, slowly,’ but also ‘little by little’ and ‘gently’ and ‘softly.’  It perfectly describes the knitting this month.  Sure, there has been progress on my projects, but it’s the kind that quietly sneaks up on me. 

The mosaic blanket now measures about 44" by 44".  It’s huge and heavy, and working on it tires my hands, so it’s my evening knitting.  I snuggle under the weight as I sit with my husband, while he watches his evening shows, and shiver every time I lift it to turn it before I start a new row. (So far, we have watched the three CNN documentaries about the 70s, 80s, and 90s that are on Netflix.)  I can only knit a few rows each day, but it eats up yarn like crazy.  I only have a few skeins of each color left.  The green color is so challenging to photograph!  It’s quite obviously green, but shows up black.

My Arwen sweater keeps me company while I sit through school lessons and basketball games. I have been blessed with the ability to knit while reading (as long as the pattern is simple), so this sweater has seen a lot of action in the past couple of weeks, as I read to the kids. The green here, too, is hard to photograph!  In person it’s a warm, yellowy olive, but the camera keeps capturing it as a cool sage.  The bottom picture is as close as I’ve gotten to the true Turner colorway.

October was a really good reading month for me, and I chose some very light books to pull me back into the habit of reading for pleasure.  I finished The Village School and Thrush Green, but didn’t get to finish their sequels before they were due at the library.  I am almost finished with Colour Scheme; I have the next three Ngaio Marsh mysteries on the shelf, waiting for me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts