the gift of time
















Taking a break from social media this Lent was supposed to help me step away from screens.  It should have left more time for prayer, contemplation, and edifying activities.  Instead, with all of the Coronavirus/Covid-19 hysteria, I'm fielding group texts, checking emails, and looking at news updates more than ever.  Many events in our area have been cancelled or postponed, including the youth group arts festival on Saturday.   The groans were loud when we made the announcement at last night's rehearsal; it's hard to lose our momentum, but there's plenty of time now to perfect our routines.

I'll have the boys at home over the next week, too, instead of dropping them off at co-op classes.  And Z will probably join us when her school closes.  I welcome long hours of nothing. I mean, we have plenty to do around the house, but it's been ages since we've all been at home together, without having to rush off somewhere for an activity.  I can't remember the last time we ate dinner as a family, or at a leisurely pace.  We've had such a mild winter that there have been no snow days, and our health has been pretty good this year, too, so very few sick days.  Our life since Christmas has been pretty non-stop, a pace that no one can thrive on.  A friend remarked that we've been "given the gift of time" with all the closures, and she's spot on.  We'll use our extra time at home to do some productive (tidying! organizing! cleaning!) and some not-so-productive things (knitting* and making this salve to help heal our chapped hands.  So much hand washing!)  This cookbook had so many good recipes, that after I returned it to our library, I ordered myself a copy.  I've been up to my elbows blitzing sauces in the food processor and fermenting vegetables. (My current favorites are the herb-y tahini sauce and the fermented coriander ginger carrots.) I may even pull out the Lost Lego Bins**.  But probably not until we're crawling-the-walls desperate.  Best not to lay all my cards on the table too early.  I may order a puzzle or two for my puzzle lovers and stock up on audiobooks.


If you need me, I'll be right here, enjoying the gift of time.




* Misha and Puff bonnet is a go!  Details are in my previous post.  It's ready for the shower, if that's still on.  I'm almost finished with the first sleeve of my long lingering Chauncey.  Buttons have been chosen, as well as embroidered ribbon to line the button bands.  I'm so close to wearing it!  Yarn bouquet in the second picture is waiting to be transformed into fair isle mittens.



**I got tired of stepping on Legos last year, and hid four giant bins away from grasping fingers and dump-er out-ers.  The boys never found them!  They kept asking for the "Lost Lego Bins" and would go on treasure hunts in search of them.  The bins resurfaced for a few days during Christmas holidays, and now their location is known.  I won't totally get rid of the Legos. They're plastic in odious colors and a pain, both to clean and to my feet, but they seriously provide the boys hours of constructive play.

Comments

  1. What pretty photos of your life! That balm sounds very nice. Legos are wonderful, in moderation. Mid-build no one wants to put them away!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts