yarn along: october 2021, monoplexy


With all due credit to my linguist husband, whose expertise helped me figure out the proper English derivation of the Greek, I've unvented a new word.  I'm certain it'll never gain traction; I've eschewed all social media; I'm no influencer.  But! if this word ever does enter mainstream knitting jargon, you and I will know where it originated.  I dislike the current use of the word "monogamy" as synonymous with "faithful."  Monogamy's a very specific word, describing a specific kind of faithfulness.  So to say "I've been knitting monogamously on x project" is, in my humble opinion, an error.  Let's instead say, "I've been monoplectic this month with my x project."  So much more exact!  

Indeed, that's my current knitting state: monoplectic.  I started my Evol sweater at the end of September, and have been astonished how quickly monoplexy has made for progress.  I've got several more inches of the body, but I busted out the neckline and raglan sleeve and yoke shaping in less than a week.  Our calendar has been chockablock since then, leaving little time for knitting.  Still, a stitch here, a stitch there means slow growth.  The yarn, Peace Fleece DK in Sheplova Mushroom, is my kind of red.  It's a tweedy, heathered red, made of dark brown-gray, bright red, and dreamsicle orange fleece blended together.  I have another two(!) sweater ideas brewing in my head, and will only order the yarn when I finish this one.

I've also been chipping away at one book during my morning reading time: The Divine Comedy.  I wish I had been able to take a Dante class at some point in my academic career.  For now the free Hillsdale lectures are sufficient.  I read the notes for each canto before reading the actual canto so that I have some context for the day's reading.  I've almost finished The Inferno.

What are you knitting? Reading?  Do share!

Comments

  1. I haven't found and unpacked the knitting needles or crochet hooks yet. Yarn balls found in one basket though! I'm reading Hogan's The Keeper of Lost Things, the book of the month from our local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unpacking after a move always seems like Christmas to me. (And knitting always features low on the priority list when moving.) You current book looks good! Putting it on my list...

      Delete
  2. I love this word "monoplexy" because without it (and its apparent counterpart, polyplexy) I am a polygamist. I have never really used "monogamous knitter" and I'm not even sure "polygamous knitter" is even a thing, but polyplexy makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, polyplexy is absolutely the opposite of monoplexy. And it is much nicer to think of the implications of polyplexy than polygamy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts