yarn along: may 2022 {never doing nothing}




The bulk of the books needed for next year's homeschool endeavor arrived a couple of weeks ago, pushing our home library's shelf limits.  I've begun to read our new books, preparing for a very interesting year.  The easiest, lightest books will do until we officially close our current school year in a few short weeks.  Yesterday I finished The Scarlet Pimpernel and started Hans Brinker.  How had I not read these two books up until now?  And did anyone else grow up with books like the ones I have?  I had several of those red and illustrated Dell Yearling Classics as a kid.  And I remember fondly the hours I spent reading one half of those Companion Library Books, and then flipped them to read the other half.  

I've been in a fade mood lately, although anyone who knows me personally knows that I'm not much of a fade wearer.  Solids, neutrals, and maybe a few stripes or a tiny pattern for me!  Crazy color fades? Gorgeous to look at.  Love the color play.  On other people, not me.  

But faded socks?  Can do, since socks are mostly hidden.  Especially with the subtle colors from Viola Yarns.  I faded those sock minis, sometimes unable to tell one skein from the next as I worked.  Colors are Silt, Willow, Hay, Grasslands, and Happy Lion.  Pattern is my own, vanilla cuff-to-toe sock on 64 stitches with a heel-flap-and-gusset.  I've been experimenting with socks since September, and as soon as I have some conclusions about said experiments, I'll share. :)

The Quill hap I'm working on is a bit fade-y, too.  It rested for a month until I decided how to finish it, which I am doing today.  When it's blocked I'll relate the totally uninteresting and silly details.

Comments

  1. I have Hans Brinker here, a friend just gave it to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! It's been interesting reading a winter story while praying that our spring weather will arrive soon.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to make faded socks, and that is the classiest fade I've ever seen -- it looks positively organic, like they just grew that way. I can't believe how well the colors blend into one another! Lovely, lovely. I'm interested in your experiment results, too. I do feel like every pair of socks I've made is an "experiment!" They've gotten more and more successful, I suppose, but I do wish I felt more confidence along the way. It can't be healthy to hold one's breath that long...

    The Scarlet Pimpernel is a long-time favorite of mine, but it's been years since I read it! It would be the perfect read just now, too.

    Enjoy your knits and reads!

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts