all, both.


Working backward in time...

I put the finishing touches on my sister’s shawl this morning, and had it blocked and totally dry by lunchtime.  Fr. G asked, as I was putting it into a plastic bag to protect it while it travels to my sister, if it was my most ambitious project yet.  His question gave me pause, because while it was certainly ambitious, both in terms of fiddly stitches and yardage, I don’t know if it deserves that superlative!  The more time I think about the question, which is silly because he asked it so casually, the more I realize that each new project, each new skill is my MOST ambitious project at the time.  Knitting in the round for the first time?  Snipping the first stitch in my first ever steek, and praying the whole sweater would stay together? My first lace shawl? Each of these projects represents a huge milestone in my knitting journey.  This shawl is no different, and I learned so much!  I’ve cast on for a blanket for the newlyweds, which also has huge yardage.  Certainly in size it will be my largest project to date, and I’ve never knit an afghan.   The pattern is fairly easy, this blanket.  I’m using Brooklyn Tweed Shelter, because my sister really likes more natural, unprocessed yarn.

Last week Fr. G and my three oldest children went off to enjoy church camp, leaving me with the two little ones.  The three of us has such a quiet, restful time together, doing all the little kid things they don’t get to do as often as I’d like.  We played and colored and celebrated LittleM’s name day.  Little M really wanted to go to camp, too, but I hope she thought being home with me and G was alright.  She loves to be included.  LOVES it.  Her most often asked question is, "Are we all-both going?"  None of us correct her.  It’s just one of the little endearments that we want to hang on to for a little while longer.  One of the most memorable things we did was to explore a new to us, very close to home playground.  Of course I hadn’t brought my camera since it was a spur-of-the-moment filler between two other activities, but we’ll be visiting again with all the kids.  It’s going to be a great place for nature study time this fall.

I went to a Charlotte Mason Educators retreat on the Friday and Saturday before the campers left.  It was so refreshing to sit by myself and soak in the lectures given by Amy and RJ Snell and Celeste Cruz.  I came home with my brain humming, busy with ideas for our upcoming school year.  I especially connected with Celeste’s methods for organizing her school and home, and hope to implement some similar things in mine.  More important than the methods were the reasons and motivations behind them.  Celeste and Amy really fleshed those out, and that has made all the difference.

 The day before the retreat I was packing a basket to take with me, and was looking through my notebooks.  I have several, each for a different use.  My planner also functions as my commonplace book and scrap book.  I’ve been using the same kind for two years now, and I’ve finally found what works for me!  I get them here, usually pre-ordered.  I’d tried bullet journals (too much work!) and regular planners (too structured!).  I keep my project list at the back, and I haven’t crossed off many of the things this year.  Next year!   I have a much-neglected nature journal, which will hopefully have more in it by the end of the year.  I used google maps to help me draw that map of our old house and yard in it.  I have a different notebook for personal growth and development, for pre-reading for my oldest, and for pre-reading for my two that will attend a Charlotte Mason hybrid school/co-op this year.  And I also have a knitting notebook, which my sister gave to me almost a decade ago!  I keep thinking it’s about to run out of paper, but there’s always another page.  A new one just won’t be the same.


Comments

Popular Posts