a thousand little things













In any given day, there are a thousand or more little things to do.  Occasionally I get completely overwhelmed and block them all out, grab my knitting, and sit in a comfy chair, knitting away and staring off into space. It's a whole lot easier to do that than it is to tackle all of the little chores: lightbulb changing, car vacuuming, closet cleaning, meal planning...well, the list is endless.  I've been in ostrich mode lately; my husband's schedule has gotten even more crowded in the past two months, and things fall behind when I'm solo-parenting.  It's not really sustainable, ignoring all the things, and leads to more stress than I started with.  I've realized over the years though that just accomplishing one or two of the small items on my to-do list can start a cascade of productivity.

 I ordered lightbulbs at the beginning of this week to replace the scandalous number of ones that were burned out.  And then I actually replaced all the burned out bulbs.  I finished a book I began this summer.  Both of those achievements helped me to make time for all the other things, like vacuuming out the car, wrapping some Christmas presents, cleaning out the chest freezer, and calling someone to tune the piano.

Next week we being Term 2, which feels like a fresh start!  Here's to getting-it-done!

(My younger daughter proudly took some pictures of me vacuuming out our van, unbeknownst to me. ha!)

Comments

Popular Posts