a wee interlude

 






It's going to be 75 degrees tomorrow, but I haven't let that prevent me from swathing myself in wool.  This morning I was sweatered and shawled.  By our afternoon homeschool playground time, both sweater and shawl were overkill, but I glory in frosty mornings.  Life is humming as ever--art class, TBG meetings, mini-retreats (for me!), church, standardized tests...This week of the school year is our fullest yet.

I knew, when I last posted, that I would be breaking my knitting project resolution. I partly blame my husband, who has been watching this Finnish series on Netflix in the evenings.*  Subtitles and cross-stitch were never meant to go together.  Also, I blame my sister, who brought forth her second son last week, practically twisting my arm to bedeck my adorable new nephew in hand-knits.  I kid.  She did nothing of the sort, but babies and knitting and subtitles do go together.  I cast on these mittens for her older son, just so he won't feel left out.  The first came together in a 24 hour period, and the second is taking longer only because the weekend ended.  Yarn is Jamieson and Smith 2 ply Jumper Weight in shades 202 and FC61mix.  It just may be my new favorite yarn.  Just as soon as I've lifted the yarn purchase ban, I plan to make a fair-isle sweater with it.

I finally had the Sweetie Pie sampler framed last fall.  The frame is not what I originally had in mind when I went to the store; this one looks better than what I had pictured.  It hangs in our entryway, which needs to be repainted.  

*Sidebar:  My husband, linguist that he is, often chooses foreign shows or movies for us to watch to help him with whatever languages he's working on.  Several of them have been romance language features in either French or Spanish, and several have been in German, Danish, or Swedish.**  With my language background, I can typically watch these without missing too, too much if I look away from the subtitles for a moment.  Not so with Finnish, which does not have Indo-european roots.  If I look away for any small amount of time, I have to ask what has just been said.  This particular series (so far) is engaging, and we are enjoying a peek into the Finnish culture and landscape.

** Sidebar 2:  My husband often watches these shows with subtitles in the language being spoken.  I can't follow then, and he condescends to watch with English subtitles when I'm watching, too.  Insert eyeroll emoji here.  



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular Posts