the considered closet, part 2




I stitched the last inch of hem on this dress last night, threw it on, and pulled Z outside to snap some photos of me wearing it in the fading light.  (The pictures are blurry, but I don't care!) I'm wearing it this morning, as I type.  

Both the pattern and the fabric I bought last spring, intending to finish it over the summer, but every time I looked at the fabric I was nervous.  Once the fabric is cut, my nerves are fine.  But making that first cut?  It causes me no end of anxiety!  Unlike knitting, sewing has no do-overs.  Frogging, erasers, and re-dos are my friends.  It took me a year to pluck up the courage and I had a good laugh at myself.  Why did it take so long?  This wasn't a challenging project!

The pattern is from The Assembly Line.  The aesthetic of the company is perfect--clean lines, minimalist and modern (I snagged those last two adjectives from their website).  The Apron Dress is a fairly simple and straightforward pattern, with clear instructions and plenty of diagrams.  A beginner could tackle it without breaking a sweat.  Despite falling perfectly into the medium size measurements, I was swimming in it. I had to cut three inches from the back of the skirt to adjust the fit, and it's still not quite what I'd hoped for.  A small would probably have been fine.  Still!  I will be wearing this until it is in tatters.

I purchased the fabric at Blackbird Fabrics; it's their 10oz stretch denim.  Overlocking the edges made them stretch just a little, especially at the top of the bib.  (I also have a very small bust, so that may also contribute to the pooching, haha.) 

I have several more projects lined up, most of them for Little M, but some for myself too.  Z's hand-me-downs stop at size 5, so from here on out Little M will need wardrobe enhancements. Fabric arrived yesterday, and I'll be spending the next few weeks putting together her summer wardrobe.  I can't wait to share!

Comments

  1. It's gorgeous. The back crisscross is very nice. Your hair looks great so short! What about your shoes? Are they from the Aurora shoe co?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of your compliments! My shoes are from Aurora...a Christmas gift several years ago.

      Delete
    2. I got a pair of Piper sandals made in San Antonio that I wear a lot in the warm seasons. I've been looking at the Aurora shoes, next maybe?

      Delete
  2. It's just lovely! I'll bet that stretch denim is a dream to wear. And the new fabrics look promising...

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to cut into those fabrics.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts