yarn along: june 2021

 Feverishly knitting another birthday sweater here!  It's the Tin Can Knits Flax in Peace Fleece Worsted Kalinka Malinka Blue, so an easy pattern and large gauge.  I've got 23 more days until it needs to be wrapped, and I'm optimistic.  A friend pointed out that I'd need to make it to fit T's November body, which panicked me just a little.  I'd not calculated for that.  He's at the "gathering his weight to grow six inches" stage, and he wears the same shoe size  as I do.  I wear a women's 11, so...yikes.  He's not quite 11 years old!  I have no idea how big he'll be after a summer of growing, so when my friend made that comment, I increased for the sleeves a bit more.  The sweater will fit me when he outgrows it, so at least someone will be able to use it.  I'm not really following the pattern's numbers--it started as an Adult Small, but I think the size is now an Adult Medium?  And there's a plait cable, requested by T, down the sleeves rather than the garter panel.

I began Eugene Onegin this week.  One critic that I read panned the translation, but it's quite readable.  I'll take a small sacrifice of literal language to the effort of poetry.  Of course I know no Russian, so I can't really tell whether this captures both the meaning and spirit of the original, or does one or neither of those things.  I've almost finished The Eagle of the Ninth, which Z recommended ages ago.  She was on a Rosemary Sutcliff kick, and I will be as well when I close this book.  There are sequels and spin-offs available for free on Audible, so they will keep me company this summer as I do my household chores.

Sashiko thread supposedly arrives today.  Once it's here, I can begin quilting the whole cloth quilted throw on which Eugene Onegin and the sweater are resting.  The layers are pinned, the lines are drawn...come on, mail carrier! 

What are you working on?  Reading?

Comments

  1. Eugene Onegin ~ I had just heard of this when reading an interview of another author ~ who said that Russians consider this book to capture the 'soul of Russia' from what the author was told...! it is a blessing to have books to read and listen to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blessing to have so many minds to meet with through the pages of books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts