the considered closet, part 4: inside, a mess





I'm sure one could draw all sorts of metaphorical and philosophical conclusions about my latest sewing project.  On the right side it works and looks fine.  On the wrong side?  A total mess.  It has something to do with my impatience to finish the pajamas, and something to do with the fabric.

The fabric for this, Robert Kaufman Swiss Dot Chambray, I ordered last year imagining that it would become a Trillium dress.  Oh, no.  It is far too sheer to be worn in public, at least for my own modesty. (You can see the pair of shorts I'm wearing under the pajama bottoms in the pictures above!) My sewing skills are beginner/intermediate, so improvising a lining and everything  else it would take to make the fabric work for me is beyond my skill set.  It's lovely, though, and so lightweight I thought it would work for a summer nightie.  It sat in my sewing closet all year while I pondered, and then I stumbled upon this free pajama pattern from The Assembly Line

It's the size XS--I learned from my apron dress that these patterns run large.  Do they ever!  I had enough yardage to lengthen the shorts into pants.  (I may add elastic at the pant cuffs to prevent them from riding up as I sleep.)  My seams are a disaster; the fabric was so thin that my needle jumped all over the place and I had difficulty guiding the fabric through.  The interfacing and fabric for facing the neckline gave me trouble, too.  Next time I make this I will finish the neckline with bias tape, like the shirt I recently made. It's a much tidier look. Despite the hiccoughs, it's a really comfortable pair of summer pajamas!  

While I've got the blue thread all set up in the machine, I need to work on a pair of loose summer pants in what is my current favorite fabric--both for sewing and wearing.  I've got a few more projects lined up using it.

Comments

Popular Posts