the considered closet, part 3 (atque etiam alia)










 

Our rose-of-questionable-origin has been blooming sensationally.  I think it heard my husband asking me to dig it up last fall, and took advantage of my absent-mindedness to build up to a spectacular show this month.  Sadly, it still needs to go.  The awkward location where it's located I hope to turn into a brick patio eventually.  I have big rose plans for the future--starting with two climbing roses on the little "cottage" behind our house.  Speaking of the mother-in-law suite, I have an update for the Big Renovation, too!  The plumber arrived and found termite damage in the little bathroom.  Our friend, who has been in the process of moving, took care of any remaining termites and will be making repairs soon so the bathroom can move forward.  We have the AC lined up for installation as soon as our AC guy can schedule it in.  I'll take pictures soon!

Some of my milkweed plants have buds!  They're also covered in aphids, so we welcome the ladybugs and ladybug larvae we've spotted on the leaves.  Last year gardening featured high on my priorities, but this year?  It just seems like an unnecessary expense.  Once the cottage is finished (and the price of lumber goes down!), I'm hoping that Father G will be able to build some of the raised beds that we've been chatting about.  

Sewing is a priority this summer, though.  Last summer, I avoided pulling out the machine, but it's out all the time right now.  Z is industriously working on something that she'll let me post once she's finished.  Last night, she and I took turns with the machine so that I could throw this top together.  Without interruptions it would have taken me about an hour, start to finish.   It's the Agustina Boxy Top in Robert Kaufman Essex Yarn Dyed Linen Check, color Indigo.  My measurements put me in the 8-10 size range, but I opted to size down for a less oversized fit.  I also added 2-3" to the bottom because I don't prefer to wear cropped anything.   I want to make another in solid linen and maybe a third?  I'm going to be reaching for this shirt frequently in warmer weather!

Comments

  1. We have lots of aphids here, and have seen a couple ladybugs. Not enough. I've thought of buying ladybugs! That top is baggy enough on you, I wouldn't want it any more so, nor shorter. I want to sew one, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying ladybugs has crossed my mind, too! I hope you have a chance to sew the top--it would look great on you. Please share your finished product! It's so fun to see what you're working on.

      Delete
  2. Those roses are gorgeous, and what a lovely addition to your considered closet! I applaud your fabric, sizing, and length choices. I've been eyeing that type of checked linen for a while, and now I'm convinced. Though I have a deal of sewing to do before I can justify buying any more fabric!

    Our local wild milkweed has very fuzzy, velvety leaves -- interesting to see a different variety! I hope you'll show it to us again when it blooms.

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts