yarn along: may 2021


I finished the second volume of The Gulag Archipelago and, if anything, liked it even better than the first.  The third volume is proving to be a bit of a slog. (Where is Solzhenitsyn going in this one?  I am having trouble following where this part of the literary journey is taking me.)  I'm going to give it a rest while I finish The Land of the Firebird.  I also just completed this book, which was my evening reading.  Not much of the content was news to me, but that didn't make it any less horrifying.  I read Reviving Ophelia as a teen, when there were groups of my classmates starving themselves and in horrible binge/purge cycles.  This book reminds me so much of what I read then.  Something a little lighter now graces my bedside table (it's the book pictured above).  Next year our littlest begins formal schooling, and I may substitute this goregous book of tales for the Blue Fairy Book, much of which she has already heard.  She is fascinated by Baba Yaga (of whom she has heard very little), so this may be a good fit.

I'm still knitting on Z's birthday sweater.  The yoke and sleeves are complete, so it's just knit, knit, knit on the body until the brioche rib at the bottom.  The goal is to finish before her early-June birthday.  

What are you knitting? Reading?

Comments

  1. I still need to try Solzhenitsyn! Oh dear, such difficult subject matters with transgender acceptance rampant currently. I've just finished a pima cotton scarf. And I made a crocheted bag! I want new cotton yarn for something summery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the scarf sounds perfect for warm weather! Cotton yarn and summer go so well together.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts