warm weather wardrobe for the girl





The hand-me-downs from Z to M stop at size 5, so this spring Little M needed some wardrobe padding.  I ordered yards of fabric and started tracing patterns from Happy Homemade, vol 2, which I possess in French.  It was given to me before an English version was available, and it speaks volumes that I still really like the patterns a decade later.  They're classic and lovely.  

But! Before I started stitching the several items from Happy Homemade, I slapped together two Geranium dresses (size 6).  Little M loves purple, and I don't especially, so I ordered some fabric we could agree upon.  The print is this; the solid is this double gauze, which has been a hit before.  My sewing is...meh.  I've made fifteen(?) Geraniums over the years, and I've become a bit careless.  These are meant for play dresses, and hopefully Little M will be moving so quickly the uneven hem and crooked sleeves won't be so obvious.  They just need buttons and button holes to be finished completely.  I dread the buttonhole step, and this time I'll need to make eight total.  





 


I've completed two Happy Homemade projects.  The first was a quick pair of shorts from a fabric remnant that I really like, but can't remember what it is so I can order more.  It's thicker than other dobby fabric I've ordered, perfect for durable, lightweight garments. (I would love to make myself a dress out of it in a different color, so if you know the maker, please share!) The shorts were a muslin, of sorts, so I could suss out Little M's size.  They're a bit big, so they should fit for the next two or three seasons.  The same for the top that I made.  It's in a dreamy, drapey lawn, and has no buttons (which is a bonus!) I added the sleeve pieces for the dress pattern (k-dress with flared sleeves) to the shirt (c- ribbon tied blouse) because Little M requested "fluffery" sleeves.  The same sleeves appear on one of the Geranium dresses above, but I learned a valuable hemming lesson when making the Geranium, and used bias tape rather than try to fold the curved hem twice.  I'm pleased with the results!  Little M has another dress, a skirt, and another pair of shorts coming, so that should fit her out for the summer.  

Comments

  1. Wow! Your daughter will be looking nice while playing this season. Have you tried to make a geranium dress in adult size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't sized up the Geranium--I'm too chicken!

      Delete
  2. So lovely, what a blessed daughter you have! I have that exact book and have literally never used it -- I'm inspired to pull it out and try a pattern. In my experience, speed trumps precision when sewing children's clothes; they're going to be loved "hard," and imperfections that are obvious to the seamstress will never be noticed. The fabrics you picked are just beautiful -- I've been eyeing that gauze for a while!

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Shannon. I hope you have a chance to experiment with the patterns in Happy Homemade. And yes, speed is a good thing with children's clothing, especially because they outgrow things so quickly!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts