pieces and bits: the sixth (and final!) week of lent




Whoosh! Where has the time gone?!  Our Kyra Sarakosti has just two legs left--one for this week, and one for Holy Week.  I still haven't made half of our usual Lenten meals; I can't even wrap my brain around meat and dairy and eggs in recipes.  On Wednesday, Father went for a trim at the Greek salon next to the Eastern European market.  After his haircut, he purchased the exotic ingredient for our cheese pascha: farmer's cheese.   I broke down this year and invested in a mold from Amazon, of all places.  Big M has spearheaded our cheese pascha efforts for the last few years, but he'll be busy with track practice and school and services.  He also destroys the kitchen every time he uses it.  Maybe the little boys will make it? (Although I'm not sure I trust their culinary efforts after the muffins they made on Monday.  I don't think peppermint extract, masa flour, and diced apples were ever meant to be combined.)  

We're all limping through the days after the excitement and nervous insomnia leading up to the arts festival last Saturday.  All the kids of the region gave performances for which they should be very proud.  My favorite events were the Greek folk dance duets and groups; the ethnic costumes definitely appeal to my fascination with textiles, and the music!  So delightful.  Our younger kids have watched and re-watched all the performances at least twice a day this week, excited to think that they'll be participating in a few short years.  

The weather has finally finally turned to spring.  Wednesday the high was 80 something and we went with friends to a wildlife refuge to walk a few miles on the trails.  It was glorious.  It's the season for packing beach towels whenever we're near water and we usually come home muddy, dripping wet, and happy. (At least the kids do.). The AC starts with a wheesh, whistle, thunk, such a change from the click, click, slosh of our radiators.  It sounds like summer.

The burning bush outside our school window is finally showing some delicate green leaves and our window feeder has gotten more popular.  I heard a white throated sparrow the other morning, vying with the cardinals and song sparrows for the "loudest at 5 am" prize.  We got a bid for a company to come do some spring yard work that was out-of-this-world expensive.  So, for no cost at all, the boys and I cleared our front beds of weeds (mostly) and T mowed the lawn, hosed down our bench, and cleaned out the garage with G and Little M.  With the money we saved, I ordered a bunch of peony roots to make a border for our front beds.  As they say skeptically in Greek, θα δοὐμε.  We'll see if they take root and bloom.  

It was warm enough to model my Sayer top the other day!  I was hoping to wear it with the v-neck toward the back, but it was pretty unflattering.  I probably should have made the arm hole opening smaller.  It's not quite the top I envisioned.  Still, there's a place for it in my wardrobe.

I'm still trying to figure out the menu for next week.  We'll be in and out (mostly around dinner time) and beyond tired.  What are some nourishing, easy, quick meals to fix?  Deciding all of that is today's task.  

Kalo Pascha!  Kali Anastasi!

On the menu:

~ Vegan Pesto Pasta with Green Beans
~ Crock Pot Aloo Gobi with Rice
~ Shrimp Fried Rice
~ Shrimp and Black Bean Burritos
~ Baked Trout with Greek Potatoes and Broccoli (Palm Sunday!)

Comments

  1. oh my goodness I almost forgot about the cheese Pascha! I wish you a joyous Pascha and a blessed Holy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that we have a dairy cow, we made several batches of farmer's cheese. I made two cheese paschas and used this recipe https://www.thespruceeats.com/easter-molded-cheese-dessert-recipe-1136153

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yum! We have made our own farmer's cheese in the past, but only ever with store-bought milk. We use the recipe from "Please to the Table," one of our favorite cookbooks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts