yarn along, august 2022: between








We're in the no-man's-land of late summer, waiting for our family vacation/college move-in next week, enjoying every minute of our unstructured time, attending as many of the Paraklesis services as we can in preparation for the Dormition Feast on August 15, and feverishly preparing for homeschool.  Well, that last one is only me.  I've also had a sewing itch, so I've largely abandoned my knitting.  

I finished an extra-large, scrappy, quilted project bag last week, using the foundation paper piecing method to stitch the block on the front.  It's a pattern of my own design that has many fudged measurements.  I purchased some actual patterns so I won't be so frustrated the next time I get the urge to make a bag.  Two of the patterns are able to be sold at a small scale, so maybe that's in my future?  Or maybe I will just make some gifts.  G's quilt top is almost completed.  I simply need to decide if I want to add the extra column and row, and finish stitching the rows together.  It's a two hour task, tops.  

After completing the body, yoke, half a sleeve (and collar!) of my birthday sweater, I lost steam.  It's so close to being finished!  Just a week of evening knitting would do the job, but every time I sit down with it, I think of ten other things I'd rather do, and rise to do them.  I've added a few rows to my Briogarter Split shawl, though.  Somehow it has the right knitting rhythm for an in-between season.

My current reads are little snippets (still) of the Elder Aimilianos book, and The Servile State.  I'm not sure what I think about some of Belloc's assumptions and analyses, but he does have some good observations.  It's a book that I will continue to digest long after I've finished it.

Comments

  1. https://www.thescrumptiouslife.blogspot.comAugust 11, 2022 at 8:50 PM

    I'm putting together a plan and getting books for our homeschool year, too. I hope the college trip/move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got The Servile State on my Kindle a year or so ago, and started reading it.... but then I completely forgot about it, because I haven't been on Kindle much. I'm glad for the reminder, because it does interest me a lot. But there are so many books at any moment in that category, What Interests Me.

    Our priest often quotes Elder Aimilianos and I would like to have my own resource at hand to quote from, so maybe I will get his book, too -- on Kindle!

    Your knitting is luscious, but that green and white quilt is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I seem to be adding books to my "to-be-read" list by the handful, and, despite reading them as fast as I can, not crossing off many as read. Elder Aimilianos's writings are gems.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts