dye experiments


Late July (has it really been that long ago?) seemed the ideal time for some dye experiments.  With three and a bit skeins of some KnitPicks Lindy Chain in the color Swan remaining from a gift knit, the time was ripe to use those bags of avocado pits and skins I'd been storing in the freezer for the past year.  I don't wear bright white, not only because doesn't flatter my coloring, but also because I am a disaster with food.  Mustard, tomatoes, tea...whatever I'm eating, I'm usually wearing.  I do wear ballet pink, though!  

To make the dye bath, I simmered the pits and skins together for about an hour.  I can't remember.  They were pretty dirty--I hadn't done a good job of cleaning the flesh from them, so I strained out the liquid using an old, white tea towel and discarded all the solid junk.  Rather than pitch the stained tea towel too, I threw it into the bath with the yarn.  And maybe a cup of salt?  I let it soak in overnight and was left with three and a bit peachy-pink skeins of yarn and a clay/ballet pink tea towel.  The photo above doesn't really capture the warmth of the colors.  That tea towel hasn't faded one bit despite all of the subsequent use; it's my favorite.  I'll be repeating this dye experiment in the future, for sure!  I am envisioning a quilt in pink and brown...Must look into walnut?  

Remember that dress I made this summer?   Well, blue dye made it green, and not at all the brown I expected! I chose to use an acid dye (iDye 420-Navy), following the directions on the package.  The resulting color was a gorgeous, warm, vibrant olive green, one that the above picture does not do justice.  I've had several compliments on the dress when I've worn it in public, largely due to the color.  

Comments

  1. I've never done an avocado dye, but did just do a vibrant beet towel and didn't think about looking up a recipe and adding salt, sadly it all washed out. Seriously, when one wears white, it will stain, when you attempt to stain in, it will not be permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Why is that the on-purpose colors fade, but no matter how much stain remover I use the accidental ones persist? Best wishes for future beet dye projects!

      Delete
  2. Oh fun! That green dress 👗 sounds gorgeous 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pale peach color does remind me very much of peach ice cream -- it is definitely a yummy color!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts