yarn along: mid-october 2022




Remember when we used to Yarn Along once a week, and then once a month?  Now, as much as I enjoy writing about what I've been knitting and reading, I can't seem to allocate the necessary minutes.  Every decision we make about how to spend our precious time means that the other thirty tasks we could do aren't chosen.  Currently the tidiness of the first floor is being sacrificed to my clicking away at the keys of my computer.  

In addition to (always in addition to!) my pre-reading for the next term, I read a few books for pleasure in the early morning hours.  I mentioned Interior Freedom yesterday, and continued to read it this morning, my pencil poised to underline the many good bits.  After finishing Psalms and the Life of Faith, I started The Way of the Spirit, both by Elder Aimilianos of Blessed Memory, earlier this month.  It's a much meatier book than Psalms, and I'm moving more slowly through it.  I've rejoined my clergy wives' book group this fall, after a year and a half break, to read together The Minister's Wife.  This summer I had an experience very like the one the author mentions in the introduction, and can relate to what she shares in the first few chapters.  It's an easy, quick read.  Today in the mail came my October treat to myself (in addition to a few mini-skeins and Interior Freedom): the complete poems of Christina Rossetti.  I listened to this book in September and didn't really like it that much--when you come over for tea we can chat about why--but what I did like was all the poetry Rowling quoted to begin each chapter, particularly the Rossetti poems.  The book does not disappoint, and I'll be sharing some of my favorites as the seasons change.  

Reading and knitting are very similar, aren't they?  Garments are built slowly, stitch by stitch; books are read word by word, chapter by chapter.  There's a stack of sweaters that I'm excited to post about as soon as they're all finished, slowly, slowly.  Just a few rows remain before the grey is bound off; the pinky brown is totally finished and being worn when weather permits; the poor colorwork yoke delight needs a body and sleeves.  All in good time. :)

Praying I can transform myself into a whirlwind and straighten the first floor in the thirty one precious minutes before dinner time!

What are you reading? Making?

 

Comments

  1. Wish I could take you upon tea and discussing books!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now seems to be the season of life when there seems to be no time to read. I have all these books, all these things I want to do, and for the most part, I just have to be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life definitely has seasons of quiet reading and seasons of bustle. May God grant you the patience you seek!

      Delete
  3. I just finished making a yarn censer with bells for my nephew whose papa was ordained as a deacon! Now, a baby bonnet for my Amish neighbor who is expecting her 1st baby next month. I'm reading Thornyhold. Maybe you suggested it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your censer progress--it's adorable! My boys have a similar one that they have loved (and still use, despite being tweens). Baby knits are so joyous. What do you think of Thornyhold? It was very sweet and cozy read for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts