yarn along:: august 2023, procraftinating






The word just came to me as I was texting my sister, and probably needs no explanation.  When I typed it, I knew I wasn't the first to coin it.  Sure enough, google "procraftination" and you'll find a plethora of podcasts, merch, and memes.  I'm not the only one putting off big decisions and chores by casting on or stitching or winding yarn.  The more I make, the more I use up supplies, and the more supplies that are gone, the fewer there are to move, right?  (But the more projects I begin, the more I add to my queue!  It's a vicious cycle.)

After ripping a hole in the seat of my favorite (and only) pair of nicer shorts, I knew I needed a new pair.  I'm really picky about all of my clothes, and especially my bottoms.  How to emphasize my favorite parts, de-emphasize my least favorite, and remain modest without overheating?  It's a conundrum!  I've been on the lookout for a flattering pants/shorts pattern,  so when I saw this one at a local craft shop, it came home with me.  The pattern was easy and quick; I made a new pair of shorts over two stormy afternoons.  I should have cut the elastic a little longer for a looser fit, but otherwise they work well.  I bought the Estuary Skirt pattern at the shop, too, and I'm trying to gauge whether I'll have enough time to make it before we have to move.  I have enough fabric for either that skirt or a pants version of the Emerson pattern.  I'm also eyeing this pattern for some winter pants.  

As soon as I bound off the Felix cardigan, I cast on a Noni Tee with some KnitPicks Lindy Chain that I'd over dyed with avocado last summer.  The yarn's really hard on my hands, but I'm hoping the finished product will be worth the effort.  It's currently my pool knitting.

Last summer, I began another version of the Purlbeck Shawl in The Fibre Co. Meadow.  For some reason, it's a pattern I need to give my full attention, which is why the shawl has been "resting" in a project bag since August.  I pulled it out again, determined to finish it before the end of July.  I was only about 20 rows from the end of the charts, which was a pleasant surprise!  But then I noticed that I had half the skein of yarn left.  On my first version of the shawl, I had to skip some of the last pattern rows for lack of yarn.  What was going on?  I pulled out my original version, and realized that I used much larger needles to knit it.  What to do?  A wide garter border.  I think I like it?  

I also cast on for the Albini Cardigan I've been wanting to knit for ages in Harrisville Shetland, color toffee.  I started it the evening we closed on our PA house, after we'd been watching friends' children all day while they moved, and during a heat wave.  My gauge was off by 2 stitches, which is a pretty big deal--the stitch count for the extra-small size would have produced a large or extra-large sweater!  I spent more time than necessary panicking that the yarn was unsuitable, trying to think of a yarn that would be better, and how I could get it here before we moved.  This morning I realized I could just drop a needle size to get gauge.  Duh.  The fabric is a little stiffer than I had hoped, but it'll wear better that way.  

Finally, my Battenburg Blanket is getting some love.  Each square takes such a small amount of time and brain power that I can crank them out when I'm feeling a bit scattered.  If I clean or pack or fill out paperwork for a bit, I reward myself by making a square or two.  I have a sizable stack of the colorful ones waiting to be joined with the blue.

I'm reading very little aside from my school pre-reading, and I fall asleep at night after a page or two of E B White's essays.  


What are you making? Reading?







Comments

  1. I think procraftination must be the loveliest, homiest use of one's time ever. I suppose I should qualify that... Whether one is merely adding on rows, or completing beautiful works of art such as you create, it is worthwhile. We might always be doing something else besides the thing we are doing! And if you are putting off decisions or other projects, might it not be because you need to work at these more comfortable projects to "prime the pump" so to speak? I think about this a lot, because I behave in similar ways. In any case, God is with you while you are doing this work. Enjoy it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words. I agree with the idea of "priming the pump." Often that sense of accomplishment when I finish a small, homey project spurs me on to tackle the larger, scarier ones. Additionally, my brain is typically processing just about every aspect of my life, large or minute, as I stitch. Certainly there are projects that require more of my active attention; these are the ones that prepare me the most to move forward with the decisions that need the most consideration. But the repetitive ones that don't require anything special from my brain serve a purpose as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed. If crafting soothes you in times of stress, then continue! I have taken a break on my yarn projects as with this pregnancy, I've had carpal tunnel...and it's worse than I thought! I'm reading fiction about the Amish and really enjoy it. Our neighbors, since our move almost 2 yrs ago, are Amish, and we've become friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like soothing and peaceful reading! I hope your carpal tunnel improves after baby makes his or her appearance.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts