yarn along:: january 2024, a fresh start




It seems just a moment ago I was writing a similarly titled post.  The turning of every year is a fresh start, but a new year in a new home and surrounded by new people...well, that's in its own category.  I am using every bit of myself to carve out a peaceful, beautiful environment, despite our calendar telling us go, go, go.  G, Little M, Z, and I are savoring the last few lazy, empty days before we open our books again.  Or at least books that mean lessons; pleasure reading has known no bounds these past few weeks.

The littles and I visited a new-to-us used bookstore and came home with quite a haul!  Some books were given as gifts or sent far away.  I kept very few, but The Wonder Clock is one of them.  We've been reading a chapter aloud here and there.  G seems too old for read-alouds, but he asked me to "pause" my reading tonight so he could go get something and then told me to "play" once he returned to the room.  I like it almost more than the Andrew Lang volumes, or Grimm's.  Pyle's tales definitely have more humor!

I am working through Minimalista like a boot-camp workshop for purging and redecorating our house.  A part of my household notebook (the one I started when I was reading this book last winter) has been relegated to an exhaustive, room-by-room checklist.  This time of year brings with it an urge to reset, and I am leaning in.  You'd think that our summer move would have scratched that itch, but, no.  Now is phase two of the move: I fit our possessions into a new space, like puzzle pieces.

At night I read a little of Death Comes for the Archbishop, another gorgeous used book from our new spot.  I've not read much Cather.  I don't know why, as I am enjoying this one immensely.  

Knitting?  There's just a little of that happening.  Little M's sweater spent a week in button band purgatory, and I tried several iterations before going with version that worked best.  More details on that when I post the FO.

My Paul Klee has a yoke, of which I am very proud.  It took quite a bit of playing, I can assure you.  And several pages of my knitting notebook are evidence of color pairing fails.  But! it all came together organically, and I swapped and switched colors as the yoke grew.  I blocked the whole thing before I started knitting the raglan increases, and it is so, so soft.  I have enough left of all of the colors to knit a fair isle vest or sweater.  Stay tuned!



Comments

  1. The Paul Klee pattern sounds fun. I'd like to see the whole thing. We are slowing moving and I'm preparing by planning a place for everything, with intention. I don't want a bunch of excess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! We got rid of a ton in our latest move, but not enough! (We went from a three story, five-bedroom house to a three-bedroom split level.)

      Delete
    2. It's nice to pare down.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts