TURNING OVER OLD LEAVES in October


My morning walk still looks a bit like this.  More colorful leaves are beginning to appear high in the canopy, and there are roly-poly acorns underfoot, but still a lot of green.  I injured my leg on a run in early September, so walking and pilates are my jam.  




Pondering

Here is a matter which sometimes causes uneasiness to parents: they are appalled when they think of the casual circumstances and chance people that may have a lasting effect upon their children's characters.  But their part is, perhaps, to exercise ordinary prudence and not over-much direction.  They have no means of knowing what will reach a child, whether the evil which blows his way may not incline him to good, or whether the too-insistent good may not pre-dispose him to evil.  Perhaps the forces of life as they come should be allowed to play upon the child, who is not, be it remembered, a product of educational care, but a person whose spiritual nurture is accomplished by that wind which bloweth whither it listeth.

                                         Formation of Character, p. 27 by Charlotte Mason 


Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response.  In our response lies our growth and our freedom.

                            misattributed to Viktor Frankl 


Reading

These are going oh-so-slowly.  

Schola Artium Liberalium Matris

Over the years I have committed to learning in fits and starts.  I've finally kept the practice of my daily Latin lessons, so I'd like to add one more thing.  I'll be honest: the self-discipline is the challenge, not the material.  

Aemilia just chided Iūlius for not understanding why she's gained weight.  I think I know, and what a masterful way to teach verb tenses!
One poem a day, with as deep a dive into the analysis as I can do in ten minutes.  
  • Weather Log/Nature Journal
Continuing the practice that I began last summer, although I'm a little behind on my painting for each month's observations. 



Crafting

My knitting slump for the past two years had to end, so I made time to join a knitting group this past summer.  The ladies are energetic and snarky, and have gotten my creative juices flowing again.  

  • Opal Socks: DONE after over a year.
  • Scrappy Socks: DONE also after a year and a hundred (no joke) ends to weave in.  I had a specific muted color scheme in mind, but when I got impatient, that went out the window.  The fluorescents will be cheery come January and February.
  • Vest no. 4 from Fair Isle Knitting, with my own color scheme.  FINALLY the fair isle vest that I've been false starting since 2023 is coming together.
  • A few other crafts that I'll share as I work on them.




Domestic Doings

  • I cleaned and varnished the three final chairs in my worn old chair collection.  They look ok.  It was a quick job, and not my finest work.  Two are now completely finished; one still needs to be re-rushed.  It's not a long job, but it takes Mental Preparation. 
  • The Bookleggers Cave is getting a thorough shake out.  I'm pulling every volume off our shelves, confirming they're in my library app (or pitching them, depending), and re-sorting and shelving.  It's taking far longer than I thought.  I just finished the Poetry, Plays, Short Stories, and Mythology/Legend shelves.  Do you have a shelf for epic poetry?  How about one entirely devoted to Shakespeare?  Top picture is before, when Shakespeare had to share.
  • Small cabinet door hinges repaired!  I thought I needed a whole new set of hinges, but it was just the screws.  $4.25 later, and the doors are like...well, not new, but they definitely work better. 

New Fun Things


October Goals:

  • Read a Donne a day
  • Sort all the juvenile fiction
  • Re-rush chair
  • Knit vest to underarm


What's keeping you busy and engaged in your neck of the woods?

Comments

Popular Posts