American Holidays: Halloween


Greeks don't celebrate Halloween.  At.  All.  I'm not complaining, as it's not my favorite holiday.  I'm all for an excuse to dress up in silly costumes and beg for candy, don't get me wrong.  I'm just totally opposed to the teenagers (and adults!) in frightening masks and really scary decorations that are ubiquitous in the States whenever we go out this time of year.

Bearing that in mind, it's no surprise that this year the kids decorated their bedroom (see above) and figured out costumes this year all by themselves.  They were the most disappointed about missing out on trick-or-treating, so I told them that we could trick-or-treat around our house.  They spent this afternoon in agony, planning out what they were going to wear.  Z ended up going as an Arabian princess and M was Batman. T ripped off all of the capes that Z tied around his shoulders, so he answered the doors with me.  We spent fifteen silly minutes this evening posing as trick-or-treaters and candy-hander-outers.  The kids tested out a piece of their loot before bed, and then Halloween was over!  It was all the fun of Halloween without even leaving the house--definitely my kind of fun.

p.s.  That orange rhombus is a jack o'lantern, and next to it is a really scary ghost.  Doesn't it give you the shivers?

Comments

Popular Posts