{{lists: year end & new year}}






 If I were to disappear, and a detective looked at all of the little lists I make for myself, he or she would have a complete picture of my life and habits.  The food I buy, books I read, chores I do, my goals, hopes, gratitudes, even my daily routine are all there, on paper, in my planner or one of the myriad notebooks I keep.  Lists are my brain in black and white.

This year especially, before our social calendar suddenly cleared, I was dependent upon my lists to move myself through the day.  When we were isolated in our house for weeks on end, the lists became a way of restoring order into the empty days.  It became quite clear this past year that my weekly planner could no longer contain all of the daily lists I make, so I upgraded to the 1-page, 1-day iteration. (It looks like everything's currently sold out in the A5 size.  Pre-ordering in the autumn has been my surefire way of getting a copy.).  I have been so pleased with my Midori planners over the past few years; I've probably shared them here before.  They are very minimalistic, but they have everything I need.   I made the cover for my new planner out of some fabric I had on hand.  On January first, I wrote my verse and word of the year (and also a giant list for vacation cleaning, which I may have to scrap for reasons I'll share in another post). There are still a few resolutions I have to record for 2021, too. 

 One of my favorite things to do at the close of a year is to look back over my records to see the books I have finished and the projects I have completed.  I usually don't share that here, but thought it would be fun to do that this year.  Many of these books were on the To-Read list I made in December 2019, but there's a smattering of impulse reads in there, too.  

2020 Reads

Waverley

The Flying Carpet

Gone With the Wind*

A Return to Modesty

Mr. Midshipman Easy +

The Gammage Cup

Captains Courageous

Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc +

Freddy the Detective

The Green Ember -

Creed and Culture: A Touchstone Reader

The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way  +^

Wilderness Essays +

The Living Page +

The Death of Christian Culture

Five Little Peppers

Discrimination and Disparities +

The Dove in the Eagle's Nest +

The Wheel on the School

We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea+

Secret Water+

The Prince and the Pauper

Passing +

William Shakespeare and the Globe Theatre

Ghost Boys

Wild at Home

The Big Six+

Michael Strogoff Or, The Courier of the Czar+

The Explorations of Pere Marquette

Up From Slavery

Wise Blood

Abuse of Language, Abuse of Power+

The Genesee Diary

Kristin Lavransdatter (the trilogy)*

Hidden Figures

Liberal Fascism

The Glass Cage

Raising Them Right ^

The Benedict Option ^

Louder and Funnier+

The Thomas Sowell Reader

Theology of Illness +

Troubled Blood*

Live Not by Lies

The Silkworm*

Career of Evil*

Lethal White*

Racecraft

The Turn of the Screw*

Penrod

Black Boy+

Perelandra *+^

Penrod and Sam

* audiobook     + highly recommended     ^ this was a re-read

I hope all those links work!  There's something to say about each of the books, like how embarrassed I am to have fallen down a Robert Galbraith audiobook rabbit hole, thanks to the library, but our house was the cleanest it's ever been because I would invent chores to do so I could listen longer.  Or how profoundly Kristin Lavransdatter affected me this summer; how the Arthur Ransome series get better with every book, my favorite so far being We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea; how loudly I laughed at Louder and Funnier and Mr. Midshipman Easy.  I have a whole new page of book goals for 2021.

What did you read this year?  What did you like?  What made you think or grow or change?  

Comments

Popular Posts