yarn along: december 2020

There's just a half sleeve left of G's sweater before it's wearable on his birthday this Saturday.  The yarn has been dubbed "itchy" from his several fittings, but I have assured him that a long soak in Eucalan and conditioner will soften it.  Fingers crossed.

While I was contemplating the execution of the sweater's sleeves (With dread, because, sleeves. Two of them.), I cast on an Elska hat. The yarn is from my Shetland stash, mostly Jamieson and Smith 2-ply Jumper Weight, with two skeins of Baa Ram Ewe Pip Colourwork.*  I was and remain skeptical about my yarn choice, especially the small pattern bands in that cinnamon brown and the white.  I'm just not a fan of how those two colors work together, and think that blue and white would have been a better choice.  I have no plans to rip it out and start over, though!  There are a few rows until the crown, and I look forward to wearing it now that the weather is downright cold.  Some alterations--the gauge of the pattern was 35 sts/4 in, and mine is 26 sts/4 in!  I am knitting the small size, which will be the large size's measurements.  This was a fun project, but not enough to jump start any joy in planning some more projects. 

Penrod  is the lone book that I finished last month, much recommended by Z.  I'm still working through my books from last month's post.  I have especially been lingering over Wounded by Love, meditating over the parts resonate.  Here's the bit that made it into my Commonplace book last week.

It is a great art to succeed in having your soul sanctified. A person can become a saint anywhere. He can become a saint in Omonia Square, if he wants. At your work, whatever it may be, you can become a saint through meekness, patience, and love. Make a new start every day, with new resolution, with enthusiasm and love, prayer and silence — not with anxiety so that you get a pain in the chest.  If it happens, for example, that you are given tasks to do that fall outside the remit of your duties it is not right for you to protest and become irritated and complain. Such vexations do you harm. Look on all things as opportunities to be sanctified. (p. 143-144)


 *The Pip Colourwork has gorgeous colors, but it's a very light fingering.  The J&S 2-ply is a little more substantial.


Joining Ginny...

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It has definitely grown on me now that the hat is finished.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing that quote, as anxiety is a hindrance I deal with, and try to free myself from it daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the right words at the right time for me, too. Praying that you are able to have an inwardly peaceful day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts