books and things, in anticipation of march



February this year flew by.  Most of the usual projects I reserve for February just didn't get accomplished, but I've written myself a list that will keep until this summer: spray paint jar lids, procure boot storage hooks and mount on wall, strip wallpaper from upstairs hallway, etc.  You know, the most important things in life.  Ha. This February wasn't a big month for finishing any of my books or craft projects, either.  What did I do for the past month?!  It's kind of a blur, although I've had a weather-eye cocked at the developments in Ukraine.  Lord, have mercy.

Despite not finishing any of my books last month, I've pulled a teetering stack from our shelves (and written a list of titles to order eventually) that fall under the heading "continuing education." Several of the titles were gleaned from the sundry book lists contained within that gem at the top of the stack*, which I had to put aside last week to finish homeschool preparations for Term 3.  The others are books that I've been meaning to read, or re-read, for the last few years.  A few (this, this, and this) adorn my bedside table upstairs, and I couldn't be fussed to bring them down for a photo session.  

As soon as Lent begins next Monday, I'm going to give the audiobook of The Brothers Karamazov a chance.  We'll see how it goes, since my relationship with Russian literature is spotty.  There are several (free!) versions included with our Audible subscription, but none of those are translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky, who, I am told, are the preeminent translators of Russian literature.  The one version of their translation is read by Debra Winger, who is a fantastic reader for many things I'm sure, but The Brothers Karamazov needs a male, British reader.  And a good one, if I'm going to listen to him for nigh on forty hours.  

At bedtime, Little M has requested we listen to an audiobook, rather than that I read to her.  She was all set to play this book for the umpteenth time, but I convinced her that we really needed to give my favorite in the series a chance.  I adore Alex Jennings's voice and could listen to him all day, every day.  No, really.  (He did a version of Crime and Punishment, but sadly no Brothers Karamazov.)


In my stitching life, also, I am in the middle of many things.  Despite my knitting backlog, the warmer weather has brought with it a desire to sew.  I began cutting and piecing for G's quilt, but quickly realized that it's a messy project that has to wait until the summer.  Cross-stitch is a great consolation; the pattern is from this book.  I've exchanged several of the DMC colors called for with Weeks Dye Works floss.  The result is a bit softer in color than the original, to my delight (although the original's pretty great, too).  

I finished Z's bespoke hat the other afternoon, and there's enough yarn left for a matching cowl to complete the set.  She'll need all the warmth she can get for Michigan winters.  My Quill hap is flying off my needles; I'm a few rows shy of the lace border/bind off, and much further along than the above picture.    

What are you reading? Making?

*Elizabeth, this and The Idea of a University were ordered by recommendation of Leila. :)

Comments

  1. The Horse and His Boy has always been my favorite in the Narnia series. <3

    As for Lent, I'm putting all my books on shelves out of sight, except the biography of St Innocent of Alaska that I am in the middle of, and the 5-volume series on Revelation by Archimandrite Athanasios Mitilinaios. I don't expect to get through the latter...

    Oh, but that's only downstairs. Upstairs, I'm in the middle of the Mary O'Hara trilogy of My Friend Flicka etc. My children had read those long ago and liked them, but I never did, until now.

    May your Lent be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Lenten reading choices have given me more to add to my "to-read" list! My your Lent be blessed as well.

      Delete
  2. "A Horse and His Boy" is my favorite, too! Though as I grow older, I find myself drawn into "The Last Battle" more and more. Longing for that final redemption, I suppose.

    Your stack of books is quite imposing! I'm trying not to look at the titles too closely, because my list is already far too long! ;-) I have *gasp* never read any Russian literature, and I really ought remedy that. Though I don't have the bandwidth to tackle much right now. My reading is currently limited to the Bible (mostly audio), "The American Puritans" by Dustin Benge, and "Wildwood," a whimsical-looking book that caught my eye at the library which I'm pre-reading for my littles.

    The hat and mittens are just stunning! And a matching cowl? How lovely will that be!

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Last Battle" is the one I've read the least; Patrick Stewart narrates our audio version, and I've been meaning to give it a listen. Russian literature definitely falls into the category of "needs full brain power"! Your current reading/listening list shows a lot of variety--just the right balance.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts