folly (in many words)

 



As imprudence goes, the above example is fairly large: its wingspan is over six feet and its depth over three feet, a literal reminder about how foolish I can be.

I ordered my first skein of Linen Quill on a whim; I had a discount code, had been wanting to try it, and its cost bumped the rest of my order into the free shipping category.   When it arrived, I congratulated myself.  It was right up my alley, and I'd gotten it at a discount!  Now, what to make with it?  The pattern that caught my eye needed another skein, never mind that skein and yardage requirements didn't quite add up.  (2 x 420 yard skeins will not equal 887.7 yards, ever.)  But I'm a yarn chicken champion.  I would be able to eke this shawl out of two skeins, surely.  Of course that nice note, which I attached to my second order, requesting another skein in the same dye lot as the first would bear fruit.  Ha.  Three weeks later I cast on the shawl, alternating rows to blend the dye lots.   It took me the better part of the garter section to realize that I would never finish the shawl if I continued alternating the skeins with each row.  That took from July to the end of October.  I ripped out my stitches and cast on again.

Toward the end of January, the reality of the yardage/skein discrepancy reared its ugly head.  A third skein, a blasted whole third skein, needed to be procured to finish the last six rows.  I'd never have begun this shawl if I'd known, or I would have at the very least tweaked the numbers to make a smaller shawl.  In fact, if I'd left out some increases and repeats, the shawl would be more the smaller size I prefer.  As it is, it's a smidge too large.  But I was too far along and just wanted to bind off the regrettable thing.  I ordered a third skein, knit the last six rows and bound off yesterday.  

All that being said, I do adore my new shawl.  My heart sinks a little as I wrap the squishy warm goodness around me, when I think of the wasted time and extravagance it represents.  Just the shipping alone for two extra skeins makes my cheeks hot with embarrassment.  Its warmth and softness, though!  And the color!  Perfection.

To make up for it, I am knitting away at another shawl which uses up my stash of lace weight merino, leftover from years ago.  It may not be as aesthetically beautiful, but I will wear it pride because making it required thrift and creativity.

Lessons learned:

If I have to order more yarn, the project's not for me. 

Sock yarn is probably the best bet for spur of the moment purchases.  Socks are predictable and basic.

For larger projects/quantities, plan and save.  I'll be much happier if I do.

Comments

  1. Ah well we live and we learn ❤ it looks pretty 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am comforted that I am not too old to learn from my mistakes.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully the regret will fade over time, and you'll be left with nothing but adoration! :-) It is a beautiful, beautiful shawl -- that yarn is divine, and hopefully this will prove to be a piece well worth the investment.

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I am happy to let the regret and the joy over my shawl coexist. :) It's a good reminder to be more careful, but also that my mistakes aren't a total loss. Kind of like the rainbow at the end of the storm.

      Delete
  3. I've had issues with needing just one more skein of a certain color months later and the dye lot is a new one, subtle, but too different, and so let the project sit for 10 years...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts