yarn along, july 2022: summer ADD

 



My parents tell me that my preschool teacher suggested they have me evaluated for ADD.  This was back in the early '80's before ADD was really a thing, so the fact that she spoke up makes me think that I was more disruptive than the average student.  Although my parents never followed through with that for me, ADD diagnoses are not unknown in my family.  Whether I could be diagnosed or no, I was able to navigate school and higher learning without too much difficulty.  

All that to say, I still wonder, especially during seasons when I'm all over the place, like right now.  Is it the summer weather or extra daylight hours that draw forth my toddler-length attention span? Is it my delightfully clear schedule, inviting me to accomplish all the things I didn't get to during the school year? Or is my brain wired differently than most people's?  I just want to finish something, for Pete's sake.  

Instead, I started a new scrap blanket.  (What.  Enough with the new projects already!) It's my favorite--a corner-to-corner granny stripe blanket.  In the past, my granny stripe blankets have never made it beyond the twisty, chain-200 foundational rows.  This one started with a little nub and is growing, growing, growing.  As soon as its hypotenuse is afghan-sized, I'll google how to decrease back to a little nub.  Only my favorite soft colored scraps made the cut, which has turned out really well.  I've really culled and curated the colors I purchase to ones I know I'll love and enjoy, so this will be a slow growth project.  Right now it's on hold until there are more scraps, but I'll add rows as I have them.  It's such a fast project.  

Aside from that, I'm chipping away on all my other WIPs:

Sock Yarn Square Blanket (I no longer like this: too many colors, taking too long.  But finish I will,  I must!)
Sunshine Day Afghan (I have enough yarn to finish it.  Now to get on with that!)
Colorwork Cowl for Z
Briogarter Split Shawl (A long-term project.  I'm in no rush.)
Juneberry Shawl (I'm on the edging.)


In addition to school preparation, these books are progressing at various rates:


See?  All over the place.


The other night, we came home with our post-swim meet celebratory ice cream cones and ate them in the backyard.  G and M caught fireflies for the first time ever.*  It was magical.  

*They go to bed pretty early, even in the summer, but I thought they had done this before.  G tells me not, but I bet they just don't remember.

Comments

  1. The fireflies don't come out here until late, it's dark and past the kid's bedtime! Really, I've only noticed them around 10pm. Seems they used to be around at dusk, maybe later in the summer when the sun sets earlier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Here they appear just as the sun dips below the western trees behind our house, around 8:00 pm. Maybe being so much further north than we are has something to do with your late night fireflies?

      Delete
  2. One thing I love about blogging is that when I publish a blog post, I have accomplished a whole thing! I have dozens of sewing projects waiting for me in my new cabinets, and a hundred books I have started and not finished. When I had a houseful of children I was homeschooling, I often could not even get the floor swept before being interrupted, and I would leave a little pile of dirt under the broom until I could get back to it with the dustpan. Now I guess I am just interrupting myself every day. ;-)

    You know how some people are more goal oriented, and some process oriented? We must be the latter, right? But as you say, even we enjoy finishing something at least occasionally.... Thank you, Lord, for blogging!!

    -Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's true! I am currently in the season of half-way swept floors and very much trying to be grateful about it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts