finally time for sweaters

 


I finished the first sweater in mid-September.  It was a self-drafted pattern inspired by Elizabeth Zimmermann's Hybrid-Yoke sweater recipe.  My wardrobe "needed" a lightweight crewneck pullover, based on the measurements of my favorite store-bought V-neck, and this fits the bill.  The yarn is Viola polwarth + alpaca in the color cacao, blogged here and here.  I used just a smidge over three skeins, leaving enough for a hat.  It pills quite a bit, but that doesn't detract from my admiration of it.  The best part is the three-needle bind-off ridge on the back yoke.  

Some notes for the next time I make a sweater in the same style: 

I like the high crew neck of this one a lot, but I'll make the shoulder saddles much deeper (and consequently the neck opening larger) next time.  

The decreases at the underarm didn't turn out the way I'd hoped, leaving too much fabric that bunches under my arm.  Must solve that problem next time, hopefully with the deeper saddles.

Sweater #2 I started just as soon as I'd bound off the Viola sweater; it stalled out after the really-fun-to-knit yoke because of gauge issues.  (I've posted this picture before.  It still looks about the same!) The other day, after frogging my progress twice, I finally figured out the proper needle size to continue.  I hope to bind-off the last stitch in January 2023.  #goals

I'm a late adopter for most trends, especially ones I'm ambivalent toward, like mohair, which is having a moment.  Especially mohair + another type of yarn.  Mohair + merino fingering.  Mohair + mohair.  Mohair + unspun yarn.  This last combination is what snagged me.  

I've wanted to try plötulopi for some time, but worried that it wouldn't hold up to my destructive tendencies.  A gift card to The Woolly Thistle combined with a perpetually sold out preference* and impatience led to me thinking in a new direction (and a purchase).  

For the Felix cardigan, I went with a middle grey plötulopi and a light grey Rauma Plum.  My gauge was a bit different from the pattern's but a mash up of medium and small gave me a perfect fit, and I knit the body slightly longer that the pattern specs.  I will 100% be knitting this pattern again in Peace Fleece Worsted.  It's very versatile.  Buttons are these, and they're great, but I must get around to reinforcing them with back buttons.


*Wooly Bear, where are you?  You've been out of stock for over a year...

Comments

  1. It's perfect sweater weather. I especially love the yoke on #2

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts