keeping (part 1): home


One.  I just need one notebook for everything.  

That was my philosophy several years ago.  Too many notebooks would mean too much confusion about where information was stored, and things would fall through the cracks.  So I had one planner/notebook, and it was adequate for all of the appointments, menus, and lists I kept.  In fact, one planner was more than I needed; there were a lot of blank pages in it at the end of the year, or pages that had been used for emergency toddler entertainment during Liturgy or while waiting at appointments.  

But I have always been a notebook person, and as I began to have more things to jot down, I acquired different notebooks for each purpose.  There are, of course, two essential notebooks: my daily planner, and my homeschool log (which merits its own post).

My daily planner is my brain on paper.  In it are lists, appointments, and goals in addition to reflections, artwork, photographs, and everything I want to remember about the days of the year.  I got a bigger one this year (The A5 Midori MD 1 Day 1 Page) that has daily pages rather than a weekly spread.  It was a great decision.  So far there are no blank pages, except for the days I have yet to experience.  I made the cover out of some fabric I had on hand.  It's exactly me: blue, plain, utilitarian.  I debated about the embellishment; I was hoping to use the cover for more than one year.  I still may!  I'll rip out the embroidery if I do.




I recently began a home journal.  What began as a notebook holding my reflections from Large Family Logistics has blossomed into two notebooks that contain the reflections, pantry and freezer inventory, and menu plans.  For years my Lenten meal plan looked something like this.  It was really helpful!  But the pages of my meal sheets got spattered with food, and a binder was no longer the best way to keep everything.  This year, I have a theme for each day of the week, and lists of our favorite recipes that correspond to each day.   


I made the cover to fit two staple-bound A5 notebooks, held in place by ribbons, and also to try out half square triangle quilting.  Ha.  It's a bit wonky.  As the notebooks fill with my jottings, they can be replaced.  

I've been trying to stay on top of the food situation in the house.  I tend to buy two of everything because we run out of things quickly, but sometimes that can mean a surplus. I'm not that great at updating my inventory lists, but after a thorough clean-out of all our food spaces during spring break everything is visible.  






For Lent this year, I assigned each day a theme: Monday and Wednesday for new or complicated recipes because we usually have no plans in the late afternoon; Tuesday, Thursday and Friday for crock pot, leftovers, or easy recipes because afternoons can be a mad scramble.  I designated a page for each day and wrote a list of all our favorites that fit into the day's category.  Now when I plan the weekly menu, I can choose from the list, rather than trying to come up with ideas.  So far it has been helpful, but we're only a week in. ;). I'll let you know how we feel on April 30!

Comments

  1. oh that's nice! We have a standup freezer in our garage and we have a google doc spreadsheet on what's in it! I sometimes forget to delete things when I take things up however! I love journals and lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget both to add and delete! Haha. I love journals and lists, too, although I was afraid this would be boring for others.

      Delete
  2. I am curious to what you make that is lenten in a crockpot! btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up the planner! Thanks for sharing the link. Your fabric cover is nice. I think you need more washi tape. I love it. Simple Lenten menu ideas, will you share more of your dinners? A recipe or two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I am embarrassed by how much washi tape I own! It's shameful! (But I am always on the lookout for more) I will make a post about Lenten meal ideas sometime soon. (I'm always on the lookout for those, too)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts