A recipe to share

Root vegetables are just coming into season, and I couldn't pass up two beautiful purple and white turnips at the laiki last week.  B just rolled his eyes when I brought them home.  We've not had good luck with turnips in the States, so I understand his sentiment.  These turnips were delicious.  Delicious, I tell you.


500 grams black-eyed peas (pinto beans work well, too, but the cooking time is a little longer)
vegetable stock or water and bouillon (I use two large cubes of bouillon in a pinch.) 
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, sliced 
2 stalks of celery
1 turnip, peeled and diced
salt
pepper
fresh dill
lemon or vinegar
olive oil

1.  Soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover them by 2 inches.
2.  Drain water and add beans and stock/water to pot.  There should be enough liquid to cover the beans by two inches.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
3.  Add onion, carrot, celery, turnip and bouillon (if using) to pot.  Simmer until beans are soft.
4.  Season with salt, pepper, and dill to taste.  I add lots of dill.  Immediately before serving, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.

We douse kritharokouloura (you know, those big, tasty croutons) in olive oil and top them with the beans and a spoonful of the cooking liquid. 

 Hmmm...feeling a little hungry... wonder if we have any in the fridge right now...

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious! I'm embarrassed to say I don't think I've ever knowingly eaten a turnip.
    My big question is did the kids eat it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not their favorite dish, but they did eat it. I think that the vinegar made the turnips taste less bitter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts